Monday, April 13, 2009

Nancy Drew


I grew up reading Nancy Drew Books. I was in 4th grade when I received my first one. Actually received my first 2. We were celebrating christmas and my grandma asked me to come into a back bedroom and she held a book open to a random page and asked me I was able to read it. I looked at it for a few minutes and told her yes. I guess she decided that my reading skills were advanced enough that she gave me the books that night as a gift. I remember loving the feel of their yellow spine as I cracked open the fresh new book. I was a little daunted by the lack of pictures and the amount of text. I had to start reading it several times, and I can not remember why but I became engrossed. I read them and then everytime I visited my grandma (she lived several hours away) or she visited us I received 1 to 3 more books. It took a couple of years but eventually i owned all 52. I still have them, probably one of the most sentimental items I own. My grandma passed away when I was 14 and those books are my most precious memory of her. It can still coke me up and it has been almost 18 years. I make Nancy Drew Pendants from used books (not my own private collection) I have found.... everytime I wear one i think about her.

No comments:

Post a Comment